Mousses traditionally use whipped egg whites, caster sugar whisked with egg yolks, chocolate and whipped cream, so it’s easy to see why this is such a delicious well loved dessert.However, this recipe manages to replicate that airy, smooth perfection using just three ingredients – silken tofu, cocoa powder and dark chocolate.
Silken tofu has less water pressed out of it then the traditional tofu that you would use in stir fries etc, but it’s still a great source of protein as well as have an almost neutral taste making it perfect to add with other flavours.
You can also custom the basic mousse with any flavours you like;
black forest – stewed black cherries with shaved dark chocolate
chocolate orange – add zest of 1 orange and decorate with candied orange peel
matchmakers – add 1/4tsp of mint extracts and decorate with crystallized mint leaves
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
A light, airy, yet luxurious mousse completely egg, cream and milk free.
350g silken tofu
4level tbsp cocoa powder (or 2tbsp cacao)
50g dark chocolate, 70% +, melted and cooled slightly
- Melt the dark chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of simmer water, or in the microwave in 20 second blasts, until smooth and glossy, then leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Drain the liquid from the silken tofu.
- Add to the blender (or nutribullet) with the cocoa and melted chocolate.
- Divide between the two glasses or bowls, leave to set for 1 hour.
- Decorate as you wish (I toasted some hazelnuts in an oven for 15minutes at 180C, then chopped them and sprinkled them over with some raspberries).
This will keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days.